Sunday, April 28, 2013

Rain


Where am I?
It has been raining here for days (I think four consecutive now) and I’m totally at a loss—I mean I haven’t seen this much rain, well, since I lived in another country.  And speaking of other countries, it’s crazy how many memories this present rain is bringing up for me, reminding me of all the places I’ve had a chance to visit or live.  Yesterday, I walked outside and the streets were wet and a light, chilly rain was falling, and more than that, you could smell it in the air, and all I could think of was Europe.  And I had to laugh because I remember complaining of how it always felt like the sky was eternally spitting on me when I lived in France, and now I laugh with sheer joy to feel such things.  And then I think of springtime in Georgia…and the daily afternoon rain shower in Florida and the wave of humidity that would bounce back up from the streets afterward.  I think of college days and rushing to class between deluges wearing my shiny red rain coat.  I remember holding my sleeping three year old, stuck to her rain poncho and me, under a tiny umbrella at Disney World.  I remember dates with Husband Dear and our wedding…it’s as if so much emotion is wrapped up and poured out through the sky and my heart.  How can I be anything but thankful for it all?