Monday, September 12, 2011

Come on and take a free ride...


Umm, so you remember that I was going to update on school for our children.  All went well the first day.  The school is still new and has just moved to a new location so they are still working out the kinks, which is all to be expected I suppose…you can tell there’s a story here, right?  Ok here goes…It all starts when I go to pick up the children on day two of school.  There really hasn’t been clear instruction on the where/how to pick up the children, but the first day I found them in one of two places.  So I head back to place one, the waiting area for buses and drivers (for lack of a better description), and find our son.  I pick him up and then head for the girls’ classrooms.  I don’t find anyone in the youngest one’s class (I’m starting to feel a tinge of panic, but decide there must be another place to look).  As I head to get our eldest daughter I meet the youngest daughter’s teacher who looks at me and says, “She’s on the bus.”
“NO!” I hear myself say with great force and unbelief.  My happy-go-lucky three year old daughter is on a bus by herself in a foreign country where she doesn’t speak the language????  I cannot even put into words all that I was feeling in that moment between hearing those words and these, “Don’t worry, we have teaching assistants with phones on every bus so we’ll call right now and have them bring her back.”  Talk about a roller coaster ride of emotions from panic and anger to relief all in the span of a minute!  And you should have seen her, an hour later when she was finally returned into our arms, our little traveling imp!  I’m pretty sure she had no clue what lot had befallen her on that bus, she was just enjoying her own exclusive tour of our new town, in our new country—a big, little girl on a bus all by herself!