Saturday, August 6, 2011

Boy meets camel


Our eldest son loves animals.  I mean loves them.  He knows more about animals at six years of age then I’ll probably ever know (and I’m not saying how long I’ve had to learn about them!).  One of the sweetest things being here has been watching my children discover their new world on this side of the ocean.  One of the clearest distinctions between where we used to live and where we live now for our son is the new animals he’s seeing.  He’s had a running camel count ever since we arrived, but after our trip south he has now officially lost count, as have we.  Camels everywhere of varying hues and sizes surrounded us as we drove by them.  But then one day we drove out to a desert camp and at last our boy met them.  It was really sweet.  I mean we all enjoyed getting up close and seeing them—something about seeing something you have never seen before (in its natural habitat) that makes you feel small and new again.  The girls giggled and stood back from the pen where the larger camels were gathered, but then from nowhere it seemed a little baby camel wandered up and started nuzzling him (“giving him kisses” as he said).  It was perfect.