Friday, May 18, 2012

Day off

Yesterday I took a day off from chores, and homework and dusted off my sewing machine--hurray!  So many days I walk by and look at it and sigh--there's just not enough time to really use it right now.  If I was more experienced, or didn't have to sew things together the wrong way first, maybe I could squeeze it in a little more often--but, when I sit down to sew it's usually a time commitment.  Don't get me wrong--I love it and even forget to eat (or sleep) not realizing how long I've been there (sewing and resewing =)).  My goal yesterday was to make a dress for eldest daughter (from a failed attempt at a dress for me--you win some, you lose some).  However, I will say that I am pleased it turned out OK, since I did it completely without a pattern or instructions (I guess that sewing and resewing stuff is starting to sink in!).  Now, it's a little tight going over her head and coming off, and the hem's a little wonky, but she likes it--and in my book that's success.



Disregard the disgruntled look on her face--she assured me later that she really does like her dress, she just didn't want me to take her picture (can the teenage years start this early?).  She did brighten up when we went to visit a friend's house later and looked a little bit more like her five-year-old self.